Slow-cooked pork, infused with tequila, lime, and spices, then transformed in to two-bite carnitas taco bites. A great snack for the big game!
I’m pretty sure I’ve waxed poetic enough about Superbowl foods this past week, but these babies just had to see the light of day before Sunday, because they are the BOMB.
I’ve had such a craving for homemade Carnitas, lately. Chipotle is one of my fave restaurants, and I’ve been meaning to try my hand at my own crock pot version of the burrito joint’s pork, and this week seemed like perfect timing. We used it in our own version of their burrito bowls, as well as a quick taco dinner filler.
But not before I cranked these adorably delicious appetizers/snacks/addictions.
That said, since this is my very first Wordless Wednesday, how about we just stare at some pictures together.
And then all go out and buy a pork roast for Sunday so we can all enjoy these Tequila Lime Carnitas Taco Bites.
Questions, or confused about anything? Feel free to leave a comment!
(Psst. Don’t worry,. I’ll have plenty to ramble about on Friday!)
- 4-5 pound pork shoulder or butt roast, boneless
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper, desired amount
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 limes, juice of
- ½ orange, juice of
- 6 ounces tequila
- 5-6 large flour tortilla shells
- 1½ cups prepared Carnitas
- 8 ounces guacamole, homemade or store bought
- ½ can Rotel tomato mix or pico de gallo
- 3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder, red pepper, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and stir until evenly mixed.
- Rub roast with diced garlic and place in crock pot. Add seasonings mix and distribute over meat evenly, being sure to get some on the underside of the roast also.
- Add onion and bay leaves to crock pot, then pour in lime juice, orange juice, and tequila.
- Slow cook on low for 10 hours, high for 6 hours.
- When pork is done cooking, set broiler to high. Using two forks, shred meat, then transfer it to two foil-lined baking or roasting pans. Pour some of the remaining juice from the crock pot over the meat.
- Broil on high about 10 minutes to give it a nice, crispy brown top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a cookie cutter (a star worked great for this, but round would also work), cut taco bite shells from tortillas, pressing each one in to an ungreased mini muffin pan cup.
- Bake shells for 8-10 minutes until crispy but not too dark. Let cool until you can touch the pan with your bare hands. Turn oven to high broil.
- Fill each taco bite shell with about 1 Tablespoon prepared Carnitas. Top each with desired amount of guacamole, Rotel/pico, and cheese, but don't overfill too much.
- Broil the finished bites another 3-4 minutes, just to warm the filling and melt the cheese.
- When pan is cool to the touch, remove taco bites and serve. Enjoy!
What will you snack on come Game Day?