Chock full of toasted coconut, salted caramel chips, and a healthy chocolate drizzle, these Salted Caramel Coconut Biscotti will make you look forward to your morning coffee even more than you already do!
Like I need a reason to look forward to coffee.
But if there was one, it would be these biscotti – that taste like the lovechild of Girl Scout Caramel Delights and those butter cookies you get in the big tins at Christmas.
For serious. Get these in your life, stat.
Biscotti is one of those things I never really think about.
Like, we carry the prepackaged kind at work, and sell the hell out of them, but they’re not really on my radar. Maybe because I’m not at an age where I have the luxury of enjoying a quiet cup of coffee or tea on my porch at 6am with a plate full of tasty treats I can indulgently call breakfast.
The Keurig pumps it into my cup, I slam it back on my drive to work. Very luxurious.
Now that I have a container full of these in my house, though, I might have to wake up a bit earlier…just so I can take it slow. Maybe even have enough time for two cups of coffee.
These are that good. Now, I am a freak for Girl Scout cookies – specifically Thin Mints and Caramel Delights. The idea behind this flavor combo was to mimic those, but with a bit less fat and a lot less sugar – a perfect cookie to wake up to.
Last year, Mr. Crumby and I bought one of those giant blue tins of butter cookies from a warehouse store, getting all shades of nostalgic for childhood as we nibbled on each different shape on the drive home.
Our self-control comes and goes.
His favorites were the pretzel-shaped ones, mine the round ones with the rougher texture.
These Salted Caramel Coconut Biscotti will totally remind you of the rough round ones. Pure toasted coconut magic.
As for the caramel element – I could have gone with a drizzle, but to keep these holiday gift-friendly I opted for chips. The finished product can be packed easier, and a lot less sticky mess gets all over your hands. I picked up a bag of Hershey’s Sea Salt Caramel Chips (<— affiliate link!) just before Thanksgiving, and have been looking for a reason to use them.
Let’s just say they completely make this biscotti. Salty, crunchy, sweet, coconutty little dreamboats, drowning in the prettiest chocolate drizzle and ready to make your taste buds happy.
This is way better than swirling your sugar in with a spoon.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup salted caramel chips
- 4 oz. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, mix melted butter, sugar, eggs, and extracts until well combined. Add in salt, baking powder, and toasted coconut. Mix well. Add flour and mix until incorporated. Fold in caramel chips.
- Flour your hands, then divide dough in half and form each half into a loaf, about 12 inches long by 4 inches wide. Place both loaves on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes, leaving oven on. Place each cookie loaf on a cutting board and cut 1 to 1½-inch thick slices diagonally using a large serrated knife.
- Place biscotti on their sides on the baking sheet, and bake about 10-12 minutes. Turn each one over and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely so they harden properly. Warm chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring until melted. Pour chocolate into a pastry bag and drizzle lines over cooled biscotti before serving or gifting.