This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SipIndulgence #CollectiveBias
Bring a little New Orleans into your kitchen – salted caramel flavored sweet dough beignets, deep-fried and served hot with a sweet chocolate dipping sauce!
News flash: Mardi Gras is overrrr.
But you know what? Salted Caramel Beignets should be enjoyed all year long.
Honest. For real. I seriously mean it.
Folks, these things are heavenly. Like, irresistible to the point of burning your fingers and tongue because you can’t wait to inhale them straight from the deep fryer.
Or maybe that’s just me?
Until I made these, I had never tried a beignet.
Donuts of all kinds have made it past my lips and straight to my hips, but none have been quite like these simple fried choux pastry-based squares of fluffy goodness.
It’s really a shame (or perhaps a good thing) that I’ve never been to New Orleans, because I’m pretty sure, based on the food alone, that I’d never want to leave.
For the record, anything that pairs as well with my morning cup of my favorite coffee mixed with NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® Liquid Coffee Creamer as these do is a recipe worth making again.
I’ll admit – I get intimidated when I try making new things.
Uncharted territory. Room for mistakes. And I hate to waste ingredients on failures.
Luckily, these beignets were much easier than I thought they’d be…even though I was missing a supposed key ingredient.
I swore I had evaporated milk in my pantry when I set out to make these last week, but nope. Nothin’. And I was not about to go to the store on my day off for just one can.
Thank goodness for Google, which told me that, in a pinch, cream can be substituted for the missing milk!
Guess who didn’t have cream either?
I did have a couple of new NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® Chocolate Boutique creamers that I had recently snagged at Walmart, because I have this fetish for overstocking my fridge with four or five different flavored creamers at one time.
Why limit myself to one flavor? My morning coffee is what starts my day, and NESTLÉ® turns it into a decadent treat.
As it turns out, their Chocolate Boutique line of creamers also help make already decadent treats even more decadent!
My favorite by far is the Salted Caramel flavor, and when I used it in place of the evaporated milk, these beignets turned into something magical!
Especially when paired with a simple ganache…also made with creamer!
Don’t you just love it when ordinary household ingredients help make other yummy things extraordinary?
(Psst…Swing by Walmart ASAP to grab all three flavors, and cash in on the $0.75 Ibotta offering before it’s gone!)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® Salted Caramel Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 3½-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Canola oil, for frying
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® Cafe Mocha Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water for 10 minutes. Add egg, salt, and creamer in another bowl and blend well, then add to water.
- Mix in 2 cups of the flour and beat until combined. Add the butter, and then the remaining 2 cups of flour slowly until incorporated
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth (or use a dough hook on a stand mixer for 5 minutes.) Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place dough inside, covering with plastic wrap and allowing to rise for about 2 hours in a warm place.
- When dough is ready, place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to ⅛ inch thick. Using a knife or pastry cutter, cut dough into 2-1/2 inch squares.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F and fry dough 4-6 squares at a time, flipping every 30 seconds or so, for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on both sides. If beignets do not pop up or take longer than 3 minutes, turn up the heat - your oil is not hot enough. Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot and enjoy with ...
- Combine creamer and chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second bursts until chocolate is melty. Gently whisk together until smooth. Set aside to cool, then dip away!
What flavor of coffee would you pair your beignets with?