These fun little one person, no-fuss tarts are filled with fresh vanilla lime-spiked strawberries, and are a great dessert even for outdoor meals.
Don’t let the name fool you.
Mini Strawberry Limeade Galettes.
I promise you, they only sound fancy. These cute little single-serve tart-pie things are super easy to make…and are ready to devour so much quicker than a regular pie!
Make no mistake, I love pie. It’s always worth the effort. But sometimes, you just need near-instant gratification.
As for me, sometimes I just need little baby pies that can sit in the palm of my hand.
The cast is simple.
Strawberries. They’re the star of the show. The diva. The Beyoncé, if you will. They keep they’re ruby-hued beauty from start to finish.
Of course, they’re given a hand by their more subtle but equally talented backup singers: sugar, vanilla, and lime.
Lime is like the Effie White of this dessert. Loud and large in flavor, and yet, still not given the credit she’s due.
(Beyoncé, Dreamgirls…it seemed to fit. Just go with it.)
And then there’s the rest of the ingredients, combined and all wrapped up in a dreamy, soft, buttery little crust…
…and then sprinkled with stardust.
OK, so maybe it’s just more sugar.
But these lovely little strawberry galettes are perfectly dreamy in their size, flavor, and versatility.
Mr. Crumby polished off all but three of these, and he ate each one a different way. One with vanilla ice cream, one with whipped cream, one alone on a plate, one with his bare hands…
That’s what so great about these.
Simple to make, even easier to eat. It’s one of the best summer desserts I’ve made so far, and it’s only May!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Churn84 unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1 ounce cream cheese, cold & cubed
- 3 Tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled & sliced
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Turbinado or coarse sugar
- In a food processor, pulse flour and salt to combine.
- Add cubed Churn84 butter and cream cheese, and pulse until the mixture forms large crumbs, scraping down the sides of the processor bowl to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between additions, until the mixture clumps in to a dough ball.
- Wrap the ball in plastic wrap, flatten it in to a disc shape, and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lime zest and juice, and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring to coat the berries. Set aside.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured nonstick surface (baking mat or parchment).
- Press the mouth of a 3-inch glass or bowl, or large cookie cutter, in to the dough, creating circles. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat, aiming for 6-8 circles.
- Place dough circles on a baking sheet covered in parchment. Spoon about ¼ cup of strawberry filling in the middle of each circle.
- Fold the edges of the galette dough up over the berries, pinching it gently to keep it together.
- Refrigerate galettes for 30 minutes prior to baking. When ready to bake, combine beaten egg and water in a small bowl and brush each crust, then sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until the crust is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes.
What’s your favorite summer dessert?
How about a Blog Hop?!
Now for the fun! Hop over and visit these other blogs and check out their simple summer recipes too!
#1> The Crumby Cupcake– Mini Strawberry Limeade Galettes
#2> Divas Run For Bling– Skinny Banana Split Trifle
#3> Prototype Mama– Strawberry Banana Yogurt Cones
#4> House of Fauci’s – Mini Strawberry Banana Pizza
#5> The TipToe Fairy– Summer Berry Tart