These ain’t your granny’s beets! Fresh arugula, tossed with crisp apples, sweet grapes, crunchy toasted pecans, pickled beets, tangy feta, and drizzled with an avocado-lime vinaigrette.
If yesterday was any indication of how my week is going to go, there will be a lot of delicious food and cocktail sampling in my seven-day forecast.
That’s right! After a wonderful 24 hours in Savannah, Georgia, I’m currently piled into the back of Lara’s Hyundai Tucson with four suitcases, three of my favorite people, a couple of snowsuits, and a bag of sea salt potato chips, heading north on I-95 towards Charlotte, North Carolina, our final pit stop before we’re Beech & Sugar Mountain-bound on Friday.
What, you guys don’t pull your laptops out in the car to write blog posts on road trips? It’s called dedication, people. 😉
So…with all of the amazing food sure to touch my lips this week, why am I still dreaming about the Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad that I made last week?
Because I’m not a beet fan.
At least, I wasn’t until I tried them in this salad, and I haven’t been able to find anything like this up here on this trip.
I like to venture out of my foodie comfort zone from time to time, and a shopping trip with Lara found me splitting an oversized package of very juicy-looking pickled beets on a whim.
All I’ve ever heard about them is that they’re almost candy-like, on the sweeter side, with a texture almost like a pear, and they pair well with almost everything.
Turns out everything I heard was right!
And you all know how much I like sweet stuff, even if it’s in the form of a veggie.
Salads are not a food I turn to very often, especially in the winter. Soup, chili, and most everything on a bun are more my speed, and even though I know how great greens are…more often than not they’re a neglected part of my diet.
I just didn’t know how to love you.
When I mixed you with so many beautiful textures and flavors, and learned how to enhance your natural delightfulness.
If I’m being totally honest, I’ll very likely still grab a slice of pizza before heading to the salad bar…but just knowing the amazing things that salads can become with the right ingredients has changed my outlook on how I eat.
Even in the winter, when chili is calling my name.
- 6-8 cups arugula (rocket), washed
- 1 cup pickled beets (homemade or canned), sliced
- 2 apples (honeycrisp or granny smith), cored and sliced
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- ½-3/4 cup feta cheese
- ½ avocado
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine arugula, beets, apple slices, and grapes in a large bowl and toss to combine. Portion salad into 4 salad bowls and top with toasted pecans and feta cheese. Drizzle with desired amount of Avocado-Lime Vinaigrette. Fall in love with the flavors - enjoy!
- Oulse ingredients in a food processor or combine in a medium bowl and blend with an immersion blender. Add more vinegar, oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
Hungry for a tasty winter salad? The folks at Sunday Supper have over 50 to choose from!
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.