Whether you pair it with your favorite pasta dish or call it dinner by itself, this Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto will please the palate of any lover of Italian cuisine!
Hello hello, beautiful world! It’s so nice when your entire outlook on life does a 180, isn’t it?
Remember those frozen French bread pizzas? The ones in the orange boxes that were always jammed in the back of the freezer? Handy for a day when no one felt like cooking, and nothing sounded as good as a gooey, greasy, crispy bite of thick bread covered in sauce? (For the record, they still make them, and they taste exactly the same.)
Let’s just say that this Caprese Garlic Bread is the all-grown up version of those. And…arugula pesto! Because it just seemed fitting.
And because I accidentally bought too much arugula and, while it’s my fave green thing in the world, I actually cannot eat salad more than once a week. I just can’t.
So instead – fancy salad garlic bread pizza! Sort of.
This idea went from being plain old caprese to a caprese flatbread to what you see in front of you minus the pesto, the decision finally being set in stone when I looked in my shopping cart and realized how much my grocery bill was about to be.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is “Fresh Tomatoes,” and I waited until the last minute deciding on what I was going to contribute (which is pretty unlike me,) so something simple was definitely in order. I’ve been bogged down with work (at BOTH of my jobs – I’m hustling both of them until the end of April,) so my recreational motivation and recipe inspiration levels have been just awful. It’s been one of those pass out in the first 5 minutes of Friends every night kind of weeks.
That’s not to say that I couldn’t down a slab of this easy, scrumptious garlic bread every night for the next month before collapsing from exhaustion. I’m pretty sure I could find the strength.
I mean, crunchy toasted bread, soaked with garlic butter? You could have sold me right there. But don’t stop there – add mounds of melty mozzarella cheese. Peppery arugula & pesto – as much or as little as you want. Sweet tomatoes, tangy aged balsamic, and a touch of basil.
At least the food coma will be a good one, full of delicious dreams.
Complaints and carbs aside, I’m seriously counting my blessings right now. I’m about to enter a world where all those little blogger dreams I’ve had are a very real and reachable possibility. I’ll take a few weeks of smacking the snooze button a few extra times in exchange for the literal freedom I’m about to have.
See? Prayers do get answered, whether in the form of a life-changing event, or a life-changing recipe. In this case, I call a win-win on both fronts.
- 1 loaf french baguette, cut horizontally
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup arugula pesto
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups packed arugula leaves
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place both halves of the baguette on a large baking sheet, cut sides up.
- In a medium bowl, stir together softened butter and garlic. Spread evenly on bread halves. Completely cover the top of the bread with slices of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted, turning the broiler on high for final 2 minutes to brown the cheese slightly.
- While the bread is in the oven, make the pesto.
- After removing the bread from the oven, top with desired amount of pesto, then layer on tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the fresh basil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, slice, and serve.
- In a food processor, combine the pecans, garlic, arugula, cheese, and 1 teaspoon of salt; pulse to blend.
- With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream and blend until smooth; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste and adjust salt as desired.
Tomay-to, Tomah-to – no matter how you say it, our Tastemakers have got you covered when it comes to these beautiful, confused little fruits!
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Pesto Pizza by The Chef Next Door
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Layered Tomato Salad with Shiraz Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- Panzanella – Bread and Tomato Salad by The Hungry Goddess
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.